Last year (2014), alongside thousands of my fellow gamers, I spent a fantastic three days at the UK Games Expo 2014. It was my second time at the UK’s biggest board gaming event and I enjoyed every single minute!
This year, the UK’s largest annual hobby games convention is bigger than ever! Taking place at the Hilton Metropole Hotel, NEC, Birmimgham, thousands of gaming enthusiasts and families will come together to discover a whole new generation of table top games.
The organisers of the UK Games Expo know a lot about games, as do the masses of enthusiasts who descend on the event each May. Once opened, thousands of visitors will pour through the doors, to enjoy and explore over one hundred trade stands. As well as sit down and try out an abundance of new games, or even enter National Championships for the chance to be crowned the UK Champion of games, like Settlers of Catan and Caracassonne.
If you’ve never been then some of the Expos, the key attractions this year include:
- Being the largest hobby games trade fair in the UK.
- Brand new games and releases on show to play.
- Family zone – lots for the kids to do.
- Authors and artists.
- Participation and demonstration games – No need to know the rules in advance.
- Costumed groups.
- Special guests.
- Tournaments and championships in the most popular game systems.
- Prizes include all expenses paid trips to world finals in the USA, and games include Netrunner, Star Wars X-wing, Warzone Resurrection, Warhammer Epic and 40K, Warmachines, Settlers of Catan, Carcassonne and many others.
- Seminars and talks on hot topics in tabletop gaming.
- Saturday evening cinema, showing several films including the UK premier of The Next Great American Game.
- The live action participation game, The Dark Room.
- Space for open gaming and the largest roleplaying games schedule in the UK.
I Want to Go to the Expo… The When, Where and How!!!
UK Games Expo is open to the public. You can book in advance OR turn up and pay on the day. If you interested in taking part in this amazing event then here’s all the details you need:
When: Friday 29th May, Saturday 30th May and Sunday 31st May 2015
Where: The NEC Hilton Metropole Hotel.
Price: Adult tickets from £12, Child Tickets from £7, Family Tickets from £25. 10’s and under get in free.
Accommodations: Visitors wishing to stay overnight can arrange accommodation through a special rate via a link on the UKGE website.
For more details, check out the UK Games Expo web site at www.ukgamesexpo.co.uk and if you see any of the GameQuest blogging team when you’re there then please say hello! We don’t bite… Honest!
The following two tabs change content below.
Driven Instructional Designer by day, board game fanatic by night! Tom has a long background in eLearning design and is a strong believer that story and narrative are crucial to creating excellent learning and gaming experiences. A passionate blogger, game reviewer and play tester, he enjoys spending his time playing games of all genres.